Maker Day Belfast
Maker Day Belfast is a free creative collaborative design weekend focusing on physical and digital making for a wide community of people to participate in.
It will bring different academic, businesses and disciplines together, blending in and introducing various design and industry experts from both the Irish market and wider UK audience. There will be given themes to work on over the course of the weekend and we will invite local charity representatives to work alongside social scientists, academics and designers as a means of co-designing solutions using various forms of maker, interactive and service prototyping. The two day event will be split up into phases allowing for keynote speakers from leading design and tech industries to introduce how they approach and utilize innovation within their companies.
Soft modelling materials will be available to each team to construct and evolve solutions using iterative approaches to refine as the weekend goes on.
Haiyan Zhang (Innovation Director: Lift London / Microsoft, Co-Founder of openIDEO)
Joe McLeod: UsTwo (Global Design Director: UsTwo – London’s biggest digital agency and designers of Monument Valley)
Rachel Kerr: UsTwo
Jane Austin: Head of UX – The Daily Telegraph London
At the end of the weekend, each team will showcase their solutions using a range of mediums. Please bring your own laptop to the event. Wifi will be available throughout the weekend.
What do we want to achieve?
Our aim is to expose collaborative ways of working as a positive influence in promoting and producing innovative concepts for potential future development. Product and Interaction Design, as disciplines, will be the driving force through the weekend. We will expose design methodologies used within both 3D and UX practice to reinforce a user-centred scenarios for product based solutions.
During the course of the weekend we want to:
Introduce new opportunities for technological advancement (Internet of Things)
Provide a platform for entrepreneurial activity using design as a driver
Promote collaboration amongst diverse disciplines
Who is this event for?
Designer Industry (3D/Product, digital, graphic/branding, UX, technologists, interaction etc)
Sign up for free tickets via eventbrite at MakerDay Belfast
For More information please see
Or contact [email protected]
Next article: Designing Innovation
This is the section.
- Belfast Design Week
- Designer Small Talk
- Irish Design 2015’s Global Irish Design Challenge
- Northern Ireland Creative & Cultural Skills Awards
- Northern Ireland Creative Employment Programme
- Design Makes Everything Better
- Film of Anatomy of Design #007: Jamie Neely – Monotype
- Film of Anatomy of Design #006: Sarah Drummond – Snook
- Film of Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design
- Anatomy of Design #006: Sarah Drummond – Snook
- Anatomy of Design #007: Jamie Neely – Monotype
- Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design (Derry~Londonderry)
- Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design (Belfast)
- Professional Development Opportunity: Service Design
- Mapping the Design Industry in Northern Ireland
- Maker Day Belfast
- Designing Innovation
- Film of Anatomy of Design #004: Paul Davies – Psychologists Who Can
- Northern Ireland Design Business Survey
- Anatomy of Design #004: Paul Davies – Psychologists Who Can