The Northern Ireland Design Alliance presents The Design By Committee
The Northern Ireland Design Alliance passionately believes in the power of design thinking to solve the bigger problems that we face in industry, culture and in wider society.
To test this idea, and to promote discussion about the uses to which design thinking might be applied, NIDA created ‘The Design By Committee’- a series of workshops and model of design thinking aimed at demonstrating the wider value of design.
The first workshop brought together designers and creative thinkers to look at the everyday issue of ‘transport’ and the report being launched today describes ‘The Design By Committee’ process and makes a concrete case for the power of design thinking. Demonstrating the economic and social benefits of design, the report illustrates how designers have more to offer than mere window dressing.
This is an important step forward for the Northern Ireland Design Alliance and we are excited to have Michael Thomson speak at this launch event. An expert on national design policy, Michael has worked with governments in the UK, Asia, Europe and the Middle East and led the lobbying process that brought design into Europe’s innovation strategy for the first time in 2010. Other speakers include Stephen McGowan, Head of Creative Industries at the Department of Culture, Arts & Leisure and Christopher Murphy, Course Director, MA Multidisciplinary Design.
Thanks to everyone who came along to support our launch of ‘The Design By Committee’ report . We had Michael Thomson share his knowledge of what is happening with design policy across Europe and Stephen McGowan spoke on behalf of DCAL to give a local perspective, recognising the need for design thinking within Government and to encourage more creative collaborations.
We are looking forward to circulating the report more widely and using it to engage with industry and government. If you would like a copy, please email [email protected]
This event is supported by DCAL as part of Creativity Month.
Next article: Strategic design as a tool for strategic growth
This is the section.
- Belfast Design Week
- Designer Small Talk
- Irish Design 2015’s Global Irish Design Challenge
- Northern Ireland Creative & Cultural Skills Awards
- Northern Ireland Creative Employment Programme
- Design Makes Everything Better
- Film of Anatomy of Design #007: Jamie Neely – Monotype
- Film of Anatomy of Design #006: Sarah Drummond – Snook
- Film of Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design
- Anatomy of Design #006: Sarah Drummond – Snook
- Anatomy of Design #007: Jamie Neely – Monotype
- Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design (Derry~Londonderry)
- Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design (Belfast)
- Professional Development Opportunity: Service Design
- Mapping the Design Industry in Northern Ireland
- Maker Day Belfast
- Designing Innovation
- Film of Anatomy of Design #004: Paul Davies – Psychologists Who Can
- Northern Ireland Design Business Survey
- Anatomy of Design #004: Paul Davies – Psychologists Who Can