What is a designer?
Today products, services and built environments surround us, all attracting our attention, altering our lifestyles and influencing our commercial choices. Designers are trained professionals with the skills and experience, to connect companies and organisations with consumers and markets. Designers solve problems employing innovative processes and thinking, that can create new products and services for companies and organisations. Design is also fundamental to innovation within organisations and can link technology and consumers, creating compelling economic advantages for business.
Designers and design companies can have very different areas of expertise including, graphic, product, interior design, fashion and textiles, web, multi-media and marketing communications. Although the outcomes may be very different, all designers follow a similar way of working that can include the following stages: briefing, problem research and investigation, design development, concept creation, prototyping, testing and production.
Research shows that designers and the integration of design processes can boost an organisations commercial growth and built consumer loyalty. For example, ‘businesses where design is seen as integral are twice as likely as businesses overall to develop new products and services, and to open new markets. Also design is integral to 39% of rapidly growing businesses but only 7% of static ones.’
‘High-level skills for higher value’. Research conducted by the Design Council and Creative and Cultural Skills.
Next article: How to hire a designer?
This is the Articles section.
Where designers and clients can share their thoughts on the role of design. Please let us know if you’d like to contribute an article.
More Articles articles
- Irish Design 2015’s Global Irish Design Challenge
- Northern Ireland Creative Employment Programme
- Film of Anatomy of Design #007: Jamie Neely – Monotype
- Film of Anatomy of Design #006: Sarah Drummond – Snook
- Film of Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design
- Mapping the Design Industry in Northern Ireland
- Designing Innovation
- Film of Anatomy of Design #004: Paul Davies – Psychologists Who Can
- Film of Anatomy of Design #003: Giving Voice to Ideas with Mike Reed
- Film of Anatomy of Design #002: Complexity, Scale and Making Things Happen with Matt Coyne
- Film of Anatomy of Design #001 — Stephen McCarthy GDS / GOV.uk
- In support of the middle
- Design Education: the profession and the student
- How to keep your clients happy?
- How to win new business?
- What is a designer?
- How to hire a designer?
- Interested in a career in design – where do you start?
- How to write a good brief?
- How to recruit a designer?