How to write a good brief?
As a client, writing a brief is a sound beginning for any design commission and clarifies the purpose of the project. A brief should outline the aims and objectives of the proposed design work, the budget and timescale. If you are working with a new designer on a first project, it should also include information about the company or organisation.
Designers instinctively question and analyse everything, so be prepared to answer questions about the brief and the content. In some cases the brief may well be rewritten as a consequence of these discussions. Short briefs therefore, are perhaps more appropriate for the majority of designers and projects, as they provide the starting point for the creative process.
With this in mind, here are five questions that a client should consider to create a clear and concise design brief:
- What is your business?
- What are your key objectives?
- How will you know the project has been successful?
- Who are your customers?
- What are your timescales and budget?
Next article: How to recruit a designer?
This is the Articles section.
Where designers and clients can share their thoughts on the role of design. Please let us know if you’d like to contribute an article.
More Articles articles
- Irish Design 2015’s Global Irish Design Challenge
- Northern Ireland Creative Employment Programme
- Film of Anatomy of Design #007: Jamie Neely – Monotype
- Film of Anatomy of Design #006: Sarah Drummond – Snook
- Film of Anatomy of Design #005: Tandem – Provocation by Design
- Mapping the Design Industry in Northern Ireland
- Designing Innovation
- Film of Anatomy of Design #004: Paul Davies – Psychologists Who Can
- Film of Anatomy of Design #003: Giving Voice to Ideas with Mike Reed
- Film of Anatomy of Design #002: Complexity, Scale and Making Things Happen with Matt Coyne
- Film of Anatomy of Design #001 — Stephen McCarthy GDS / GOV.uk
- In support of the middle
- Design Education: the profession and the student
- How to keep your clients happy?
- How to win new business?
- What is a designer?
- How to hire a designer?
- Interested in a career in design – where do you start?
- How to write a good brief?
- How to recruit a designer?